A tribute site to those who served on the coldest part of the Cold War,
the Distant Early Warning Radar Line.
“Sed evanescent voces scripta manent”
(Voices vanish but words remain.)
No seriously. Get a cup of coffee and get lost in the more
than 140 pages and over 1400 images that make up this site.
- A Tribute to the Site’s Founder. Larry Wilson’s Bio.
- HOME page for Larry’s original site. From the original HTML site. Circa 1998.
- DEWLiner Contact List Find old friends and acquaintances.
- Map of the DEWLine.
- A DEWLine History A chronicle of events for the DEWLine and a brief history.
- General information on construction, equipment, communications, etc.
- Construction of Ice-Cap 1, DYE-2
- Communications Systems Information on the various communications systems that were in use.
- IS-101 Rearward Communications System.
- Hams (Amateur Radio Operators) on the DEWLine
- Site Table with links to details and photos of individual DEWLine stations.
- Radio Call-signs for DEWLine Stations. Including military tactical call-signs.
- “SKYKING” and the Foxtrot/Noah’s Ark Message. The Go/No Go message to B-52 bombers over the Arctic.
- POL Facilities POL stands for Petroleum, Oil, Lubricants.
- Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. Links to various DEWLine photo galleries.
- DEWLine Training Site Streator Illinois. The site is now in ruins.
- The Great Radician Walkout of 1975 by Clive Beckmann.
- A DEWLine Soviet Attack Scenerio. A work of fiction by Clive Beckmann
- Memories. Personal remembrances of the DEWLine, its history, places, equipment, living conditions, etc.
- War Stories Volume 1 Stories, incidents and anecdotes. Often amusing, sometimes larger than life, or just plain interesting.
- War Stories Volume 2 More stories, incidents and anecdotes.
- War Stories Volume 3 Even more stories, incidents and anecdotes (lies?).
- Comic Relief Cartoons, Poems, Songs, Etc.
- Memorabilia Jacket patches, crests, certificates, plaques, etc.
- DEWLine Closure Ceremony. Held 15 July 1993 at BAR-3 Tuktoyaktuk NWT.
- What Ever Happened to Federal Electric Corporation (FEC)?”
- Acronyms & Abbreviations.
- Auxiliary & I-Site Module layouts A detailed module-by-module look at our homes away from home.
- Links to documents referring or pertaining to the DEWLine.
- Navigational Aids & Facilities Table.
- Mileage Chart showing site-to-site distances and runway information. Used by NordAir pilots. Courtesy John Vandenberg.
- Site Mission Equipment Table. A detailed chart of what equipment was at each site.
- Site Plans for Main and Auxilliary Stations.
- Videos documentaries. A comprehensive list of video documentaries and personal memoirs referring or pertaining to the DEWLine.
- Brian Jeffrey’s “Adventures from the Coldest Part of the Cold War.”
- Fred Teeter’s DEWLine Page & Photos.
- Canadian Forces DEWLine information page. Also contains information on the Mid-Canada Line and North Warning System.
North Warning System (NWS)
- North Warning System (NWS), with Site Table. The successor to the DEWLine.
- Map of the North Warning System.
Mid-Canada Line (MCL)
- Mid-Canada Line (MCL). Information, photos, and stories about the Mid-Canada Radar Line.
- Mid-Canada Line Contact Page. Includes company/job title, sites served at, dates, and e-mail addresses.
- Pinetree Line. An archived copy of the original website that was taken down in 2009.
- Larry Wilson’s Radar Tech 231 “Old Boy” Page.
Enjoying the site?
While maintaining this site is a labour of love for me, it does cost money. If you would like to support this effort, please consider making a donation. You’d be surprised how few people do! Thank you.